UU Community Church was started in the spring of 1995 by 20 persons
In February 1996, 43 persons joined the church as charter members
In 1996, services were held every Sunday at the Portage Senior Center.
Theology student, Valerie Ackerman, was hired to conduct one service a month
In 1997, the following events occurred:
• Rented office space
• Rev. Davidson Loehr was hired as half-time interim minister
• Our first Director of Religious Education was hired
• Applied to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) for a grant to help subsidize our first full-time minister
• Our first minister, Rev. Scott Prinster, was hired through the UUA
• Our first part-time Office Administrator was hired
In 2002, the following events occurred:
• Had a Capital Campaign to raise funds to purchase our own building.
• Rev. Scott Prinster resigned
• Rev. Dave A Johnson was hired as our interim minister. He was with us for two years as we searched for a settled minister.
• Began renting space at Celebration Hall in June and negotiated for the building purchase.
• July 2, 2002 – we moved into our new church home!
• December 20 – UUCC entered into a land contract to purchase Celebration Hall
In 2003, 2004 and 2005, church members built four rooms in the basement, closed in an office for the minister and changed the entrance to the church installing a ramp to make the sanctuary handicap accessible.
• April 14 – UUCC obtained a bank mortgage and paid off the land contract on the building
• August 1 – Rev. Jill Terwilliger was hired as our Settled Minister
• Rev. Terwilliger resigned
• Hired Rev. Gary Gallun as a half-time Consulting Minister
• We went without a minister, filling the pulpit with a variety of ministers, lay services, and guest speakers
• Hired Rev. Cassandra Howe as a Consulting Minister, for progressively larger percentages of full time
• Hired Rev. Greg Martin as a Consulting Minister
• Hired Rev. Duffy Peet as a Consulting Minister
• Hired Rev. Gy Ludvig as a Consulting Minister. She began preaching regularly on August 14.
• Paid off the mortgage on our church building!
• Replaced the air conditioning system in August after weeks of sweltering heat